Sunday, February 8, 2009

Filled to Overflowing

As an introvert, I have never been one to have dozens of friends. I value intimate friendships with a few close friends that include lots of quality time spent sharing our life experiences. This week I was reminded of the way in which God has met this need over and over again.

Last Saturday, Ryan and I took a day trip to South Carolina to visit a dear friend of mine from college. Genessa and I met our freshman year in Dr. Sundahl’s literature class. We clicked immediately and spent many hours together for the next four years. Today, Genessa lives in Indiana with her husband and three children. It is quite convenient that her in-laws retired to Lake Keowee, and they are kind enough to allow me to spend a day there when Genessa visits every two years or so.

Ryan had not spent more than 30 minutes in the car at a time since our trip to the beach this summer. There is a reason for this, as he cried for the majority of the car ride there and back. I was understandably a bit nervous about heading out with him alone for an hour and a half drive each way. However, he seemed to enjoy the ride immensely! He played contentedly (and quietly) with his toys and even took two naps. Our time with Genessa was relaxed, and it truly felt like we’d never been apart. I so appreciate her kindness and sense of humor.

Genessa and daughter Cadence
Ryan and Brayson meet.

Super Bowl Sunday was spent at the home of Steven and Courtney. At our stage in life, you have to meet two specific requirements in order to host a Super Bowl party: 1) Two separate rooms with TVs and 2) Multiple bedrooms in which children can be put to bed in their pack-n-plays. The Breedloves were able to provide both. The men retreated to the basement, only emerging when they needed to refill their plates.

The women remained upstairs, paying scant attention to the game while caring for the six children (all under the age of 2) and talking (a lot).

Ryan had a date on Wednesday afternoon – a playDATE that is. Maggie is seven weeks younger than Ryan. I taught with her mother, Stephanie, at Veritas. While no official documents have yet been signed, Ryan and Maggie’s marriage is all but scheduled. Stephanie is quite trustworthy and has ensured that these playDATES occur regularly.
The prince rescues his princess.

Thursday was Ryan’s first birthday! While the party was held this Saturday, we enjoyed having Beth, Chris, and their baby girl over for dinner Thursday night. I worked with Beth at Veritas, and Chris works at Biltmore with Paul. Beth and I are quite similar and the conversation is always comfortable. After dinner and dessert, we finished up the evening by watching The Office together. It can’t get much better than that!
Ella Brooks

I have already broken my promise to produce weekly blog entries. It has been an extremely busy week, but I wrap it up feeling filled to overflowing from all of the meaningful time spent with friends.

No comments: