Saturday, February 13, 2010

Two


Ryan turned two years old on February 5th.  I know I should say that "time flies," but I can't say it always has!  However, when I reflect on all that he has learned and experienced in just two short years, I do long to slow down and cherish the uniqueness of each stage.

Some current highlights:
*Ryan weighs 26.2 lbs. and is 33.75 in. tall, which makes him 25th percentile for both weight and height.  He has 15 teeth (One stubborn incisor has yet to make an appearance.).  He runs, climbs, spins, open doors, and is beginning to learn to jump.

*He can identify all of the letters in the alphabet, most numbers 0-9, the primary colors, and basic shapes.

*His verbal skills grow quite literally on a daily basis.  He is starting to say more sentences, as opposed to simply 2-3 word phrases, and is including words like "I" and "you."  Ironically, I have more difficulty understanding him now because of the breadth of his vocabulary.  I can no longer simply rely on context clues.  Paul and I are frequently saying to him, "Show us what you mean."  He is very persistent and surprisingly patient while we put the puzzle pieces together. 

*Ryan's favorite activities include playing with bulldozers and cars, pretending to cook in his kitchen, play dough, reading, and listening to music.  His obsession with Elmo and "Elmo's World" on Sesame Street continues to grow.  He is still highly social and usually the happiest when playing with friends (or grandparents!).


*He is into absolutely everything and explores the world hands-on.  That intense curiosity combined with his strong-willed personality can make for some interesting days.  I don't know how many times a day I say, "Are you going to obey or disobey?"  He has started to choose obedience more often than not, but the temper tantrums have gotten increasingly dramatic when he decides to employ them!

We celebrated his birthday with both sets of grandparents.  They came over for a Sesame Street-themed party that included dinner, cake and ice cream, and presents.  Ryan adored all of the attention and new toys.  For days after, he would ask "More presents?"  Two special gifts were a set of child-sized golf clubs from Paul's parents and a wonderful series of books called Read Aloud Bible Stories (Lindvall and Puckett) from my parents.  

As our family looks to the year ahead, Paul and I continually pray for wisdom and discernment. Of course, there will be new challenges but also incredible joy, particularly when we welcome a new baby in mid-July.  I simply cannot wait to see Ryan become a big brother!  The world of "two" is guaranteed to be unpredictable and a whole lot of fun. 

No comments: