Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ryan turns 5!

Even though five years have come and gone, I think Paul and I are still in awe of the gift that has been entrusted to us.

How did this baby….

Ryan Day 1

 

become this boy…

Ryan 5 years old

so quickly???

This boy loves building, drawing, playing with his brother, listening to music, and learning about everything.  The past year has been more about mental milestones rather than physical.  He’s putting together the big puzzle pieces that will provide the foundation for a lifetime of discovery.  For example, today he counted to 300 for the first time (Oh, there’s a pattern when we count!).  Spatial intelligence has emerged as a clear strength.  He can read complex diagrams and assemble small pieces into a variety of projects that incorporate things like gears and pulleys.  I know the coming year will bring on other exciting skills.  Tying his shoes, learning to ride a bike without training wheels, and beginner swimming are right around the corner! 

 

Ryan with K'nexThank you, K’nex, for hours upon hours of fun.

 

As always, Ryan knew exactly what he wanted to do for his birthday - a construction equipment party!  We throw “friend parties” for every other birthday, and this was his party year.  Add the family party on his actual birthday along with cupcakes for his preschool class, and you’ve got a total of three parties (and one exhausted Mama!).

 

Party decorations Ready for his friends

 

Sophie painting
Activity #1: Painting
Sophie saw no reason why pink and construction equipment couldn’t mix.

 

Sam
Sam

 

Ryan racing
Activity #2: Dump Truck Obstacle Course
We timed the kids to see who could race their truck through the course the fastest.

 

Steven racing
Steven Edward won by a landslide.

 

Kari
Activity #3: Construct a Building (with marshmallows and toothpicks)
Kari built a house and then a snowman.

 

Miles building
This was Miles’ opinion of the activity.
”Can we race dump trucks again?”

 

Sophie building
For Sophie, the temptation to eat the marshmallows was almost more than she could take!

 

Matching game
Activity #4: Speed Matching Game

 

Lunch
Lunch: Chicken nuggets!

 

Cake #1
Cake #1

 

Cake #1 2
A surprise on the inside!  Pretty cool, huh?  It really wasn’t as hard as it looks.  

 

On Ryan’s actual birthday, we had both sets of grandparents over for pizza, cake, and presents.

 

Nana Kay and MilesMiles and Nana Kay

 

Helicopter 2  A helicopter from Nana Kay and Granddaddy,
along with a book and tornado maker

 

Tornado maker

 

Ryan opening gifts
A human body encyclopedia from Grammy and Papa, as well as more
K’nex and a frog model

 

Ryan opening gifts 2


Granddaddy and Abby
Abby and Granddaddy

 

Grammy and Ryan
Ryan and Grammy

 

Cake #2
Cake #2 (Can you tell Paul had a lot of fun with the decorating?)

 

Ryan with Cake #2 2

 

Ryan with Cake #2 3

 

Ryan with Cake #2

 

Last year, I wrapped up Ryan’s birthday post with fun quotes from the previous year.  I think I’ll try to do this every year, at least until he’s old enough to read the blog!

* “Mama, it’s funny. My stomach always hurts just before it’s time to eat my carrots.”

* Ryan was helping me make scones for Saturday morning breakfast. He was getting impatient:
     Me: “We have to put in the dry ingredients first.”
     Ryan: “Oh, then we can put in all the squishy ones.”

* Instead of saying, “I want to watch Super Why,” Ryan frequently says, “I want to watch Super Wide.” He also refers to skim milk as “skin milk.”

* After the first day of school, on being asked about learning to walk in a line:
“Some kids kept no hands to themselves. I got touched a lot.”

* I told Ryan not to take his paper napkin from the table because I didn’t want it to get shredded all over the house. He said, “Don’t worry, Mama! I’m a Cutter and Colorer, not a Tearer like Miles.”

*    Ryan: Mama! Abby is googling!
     Me: You mean “cooing.”
     Ryan: Oh. Then what does “googling” mean?

Between father and son:

* At the beach, Paul pointed out pelicans flying in the shape of a “V.” Ryan asked, “Do they ever fly in the shape of a ‘C’?”

* After eating Rice Krispies for the first time:
     Ryan: The cereal crickled this morning, Daddy!
     Paul: Oh! Did it snap, crackle, and pop?
     Ryan: No, it is just snapped and crackled.

*    Ryan: That was a big ass volcano.
     Paul: What?
     Ryan: That was a big ass volcano.
     Paul: Oh, do you mean big ash volcano?

Just plain sweet:

* While taking Cleo and Isis to the vet, Isis was beside Ryan in her cage, crying loudly. Ryan reached down, patted the cage, and said, “Remember, no matter how you feel, trust God. Even if you’re sad or lonely or scared, trust God.” (Theme from VBS Summer 2012!)

* “Every day in school we have Bible practice. Reading and learning about God…sharing and loving each other. And if you are sad, you are not alone.”

*    Ryan: I can’t wait to be a nurse when I’m bigger. I love, love, love, love nurses.
     Me: Which nurses mean the most to you?
     Ryan: The ones who helped Daddy when he hurt his toe.

 

Ryan

No comments: