This is the story of a boy and his thumb…
When Miles went to the dentist six months ago for his cleaning, the dentist delivered the bad news: It’s time for you to stop sucking your thumb. She encouraged him to break the habit before his next appointment. Miles listened without too much comment, but I could see the wheels turning. On the way home, we had the following conversation:
Miles: “Mama, when do I go back to the dentist again?”
Me: “Six months.”
Miles: “Well, that’s great news! That means today is Day Zero, and I have lots of time before I need to stop sucking my thumb.”
Six months passed, and Miles did make efforts to stop sucking his thumb for a morning here or there. Inevitably, he fell off the wagon but still seemed quite pleased with his efforts. This past Thursday, we returned to the dentist.
Miles had no cavities and has been doing a great job brushing his teeth. However, it was time to address the thumb sucking again:
Attempt #1
Dentist: “Miles, the reason your front teeth hurt is because of the thumb sucking. The shape of your teeth is being changed.”
Miles: “Oh, that’s okay! I am going to get braces when I am a teenager and fix that.”
Attempt #2
Dentist: “Well, it would really be better if you stopped on your own before then. If you don’t, we will put a crib appliance in your mouth. It’s a piece of metal that will force you to stop sucking your thumb.”
Miles: “But when my thumb gets hairy, I won’t want to suck it anymore.”
Dentist: “What do you mean?”
Miles: “You know how when you get older, boys have to shave. Like my Daddy. Then, I will get hair on my hands {points to knuckles}.”
Dentist: “Huh. I guess I’ve seen much older men with hair on their knuckles….”
Attempt #3
Dentist: “Well, Miles, I can tell you are a very intelligent boy. Do you want to stop sucking your thumb?”
Miles: “I am not really sure.”
Attempt #4
Dentist: “Okay. I want you to think about it really hard. There are three choices: Your parents could put a band-aid or glove on your hand; or you could think of a big reward that you really, really want; or we can put in the crib appliance….”
Miles: “Uh, huh.” {Nods his head seriously.}
Dentist: “Can you think of something special you’d really like?”
Miles: {Thinks for a moment.} “Yes! I’ve got it.”
Dentist: “Okay! Great!”
Miles: “I want… the appliance!”
Dentist: “Well, no. You really don’t .”
Miles: “Yes. Yes, I do. I pick that!”
Attempt #5:
Dentist: “I hear you, but it really would be better if you did this by yourself. I mean, your parents have four kids here. It would save them a lot of time and money if you didn’t need the appliance.”
Miles: {Unresponsive and unimpressed}
At this point, the conversation was abandoned. It should be noted that the dentist is the mother of two young boys herself, and the conversation had us all working hard to conceal our laughter. Miles, satisfied with an apparent victory, promptly put his coat on upside down and headed for the door.
To be continued….
(Donations for future dental work gratefully accepted.)
1 comment:
I know one who sucked his until he was nine. It was natural, I guess.
Post a Comment