Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Abby turns 6!

We gathered last week to celebrate our girl and enjoy some sweet family time!  This year’s menu: waffles for breakfast, egg salad sandwich for lunch, and chocolate chip banana pancakes for dinner.



Abby's 6th Birthday 7


Abby's 6th Birthday 6


Abby's 6th Birthday 5


Abby's 6th Birthday


Abby's 6th Birthday 8


Abby's 6th Birthday 9jpg


Abby's 6th Birthday 13


Abby's 6th Birthday 12


Abby's 6th Birthday 11


Abby's 6th Birthday 10


Abby's 6th Birthday 14


Abby's 6th Birthday 15


Abby's 6th Birthday 4

Incredibles 2 Theme


Abby's 6th Birthday 16


Abby's 6th Birthday 17


Abby's 6th Birthday 2


Abby's 6th Birthday 3


It has been so interesting for me to have Abby at home full-time now as a student!  I have learned even more about her personality.  For example, she is not perfectionistic in her work at all.  She would rather be done quickly.  However, Abby has always been a people pleaser.  This combination leads to work that might need to be corrected (thanks to the hurrying), but Abby is devastated by the correcting!  She has gradually adjusted to the need to redo work without hysterics thank goodness.

Observing Abby at our new homeschool co-op has certainly revealed why her preschool teachers all raved about her.  She just shines in a classroom setting – listening with her whole body, remembering everything, participating with enthusiasm, and often providing the momentum for the other students.  Every week, the other moms describe her as “very bright,” “a natural leader,” and “so cute.”  Talking out of turn has been her only real challenge, and I suspect it always will be!

Abby is also very impressionable.  She observes people so intensely, and it follows that she would mimic their behavior to see what the effect might be. Our co-op requires the students to make a very brief presentation (3 minutes) to their classmates each week.  For Abby’s age, it’s much like show and tell.  We practiced at home for her first presentation, and she was quite excited.  Then, the first boy to present decided he didn’t want to and threw an impressive tantrum.  As soon as the boy started protesting, I knew Abby was now going to do exactly the same thing.  Sure enough, when her turn came, she started weeping and wailing!  I dragged her into the hall for a stern talking to, and she managed a half-decent presentation.  The next week on our way to classes, Abby calmly announced, “I might get upset and throw a fit about my presentation again.”  And I reminded her what my response would be to such behavior.  She has done her presentations beautifully ever since.  For her, it really is like trying on someone else’s clothes.  Abby just tries on their behavior instead!   


Abby starts ballet   Abby started ballet this fall and (naturally) loves every minute.


Funny and sweet quotes from five year old Abby:

~”I just sneezed snot into my nose!”

~ Me: Are you excited they’re home?
   Abby: Not excited, just glad. Excited would be too happy.

~ Me: You are too cute!
   Abby: And too full of ideas!

~ “Everyone should have a little brother.”

~ Paul: Abby, don’t put that plastic bag over your head!
   Abby: Why?
   Paul: Because you could die.
   Abby: And see Jesus!
   Paul: Well, yes, but that’s not the right way to meet Him.
   Abby: Why not? What would He say?
   Paul: He would say, “Don’t put plastic bags over your head!”

~ Abby: I want a convertible when I am grown up.
   Me: I used to want a convertible.
   Abby: Why don’t you get one?
   Me: Well, I have 4 children, and all of you wouldn’t fit.
   Abby: I will have 2 children for my convertible and 1 honey. My honey will wear the handsomest    clothes, and I will have the prettiest dresses!

~ Abby to me: Do you have a conveyor belt in your tummy so that when one baby comes out another one takes its place?

~ On learning the purpose of smokestacks: “I thought they were for making clouds.”

~ “I want to go home, pack up all our stuff, sell our house, and move to DC.”


Abby Sept 2018

That God chose us to be your parents is a responsibility we take seriously and
carry out with joy, appreciation, and a great deal of awe!
Happy Birthday, Abby!

No comments: