Moms apply the sweeping it’s-just-a-phase label to a wide range of childhood behaviors, from separation anxiety to picky eating to overuse of the word “No!” Thankfully, that’s usually an accurate description and, as soon as you have adjusted to the current phase, the child has moved on to a new one.
Some days I feel like the phase I am in is endless. Every day (and I do mean every day), I’ll be up at 6 a.m. I’ll prepare three meals and two snacks. I’ll wash and fold one or two loads of laundry. I’ll change diapers. I’ll read the same books out loud over and over again. I’ll sing children’s songs, complete with hand motions. I’ll extend numerous opportunities to practice choosing between disobedience and obedience. I’ll empty the dishwasher. I’ll nurse every three hours. I’ll pick up toys. I’ll be exhausted.
This current phase of mine stands in such stark contrast to the one that preceded it. For eight years, I lived as a “DINK” (double-income-no-kids). The house was the place where Paul and I crashed at the end of a long work day and slept in on Saturday. Otherwise, we were out and about – working, trying new restaurants, going to movies, shopping, hanging out with friends, and traveling. My job was time-consuming, but the fruits of my labor were evident on a regular basis. Oh, and I was off on holidays and for the summer. Wow. What did we do with all of that free time? And money?
While there were many wonderful perks to that time, I am determined not to spend my days looking back (or forward, for that matter). It was a phase, a specific time in our lives that won’t be repeated.
And so is this.
I spend my days watching two unique personalities being unveiled bit by bit. I make two pairs of eyes open in delight simply by singing the “ABC’s.” I slow tears using a hug and lots of kisses. I witness all of their accomplishments, whether it’s first steps, building a Lego airplane, or pooping in the potty. I fill empty tummies and clean dirty bodies. I answer question after question about this fascinating world. I provide structure, routine, and safety. I introduce two souls to their Maker and the Author of Truth.
This is so much more than just another phase.
“For he will not often consider the years of his life, because God keeps him occupied with the gladness of his heart.” Eccl. 5:20
1 comment:
I had no idea that you had a blog! You do ao fabulous job on it too, by the way! I have really enjoyed looking at it and all the great pics! Don't you just love blogging, when you have time to keep up with it! lol
Post a Comment