Fall is my favorite season, and, more specifically, October is my favorite month. What’s not to love about cool crisp mornings, the pleasant crunch of leaves underfoot, the smell of bonfires at sunset, and the comforting warmth of your favorite sweater.
This October was especially full and memorable. Here’s a look at what we’ve been up to:
Michelle
On October 8th, the boys and I drove to Greenville to meet up with my cousin Michelle. Michelle is exactly 364 days younger than me, and I always enjoy my time with her. It doesn’t matter how long it’s been since we’ve talked, we pick up right where we left off. She lives in Columbia, has two children, and is expecting identical twin girls in February! She generously offered to drive nearly two hours to meet us at the zoo. After the many hours we played together as children, it was wonderful to see our children do the same.
Jackson (3), Ryan (2), and Rivers (5)
Ryan’s favorite animal was the leopard.
Michelle and I did lots of talking while the children ran around the zoo and the nearby playgrounds. The weather was gorgeous, and I am so grateful we had this opportunity to reunite.
Cherry Grove
We took our first “just the four of us” family vacation in mid-October. Since Miles’ birth preempted our annual trip to Cherry Grove, SC, we couldn’t resist the opportunity to sneak a trip in during Paul’s fall break from grad school.
My grandparents purchased a condo on a quiet inlet when I was only 2 years old. It’s hard to believe that I’ve been going yearly ever since – that would be 30 years for those of you who don’t want to worry about the math! The memories of my time in Cherry Grove run deep, and it’s the place where I most easily relax and reboot.
Paul and Ryan spent many hours digging and building in the sand along the inlet. This pipeline was one of their creations.
Ryan’s first fiddler crab catch brought back happy memories of capturing them by the hundreds with my brother Mark in exactly the same spot.
I am thankful to my parents for ensuring that we returned to the same special place time and time again. Now I am building the same traditions with my own sons. Amazing!
Liz and Kristy
My two closest girlfriends from college flew down for 5 days at the end of the month to meet Miles and, of course, TALK. We kept the days very low-key, simply enjoying the boys and one another. They were the best houseguests I could have asked for. They were eager to entertain the boys, wash dishes, and even change diapers! I quickly started referring to them as my nannies and would hire them in a heartbeat if their husbands would allow it.
Kristy (from Milwaukee) and Liz (from Detroit)
I told Ryan that Liz and Kristy had met him when he was a baby and were coming back to see how much he had grown. Ryan immediately asked, “Will they use a stethoscope?”
Halloween
I was completely unprepared for what a big deal Halloween becomes once a child begins to grasp the concept of free candy. And it’s not just the candy. There are pumpkin patches, fall festivals, and class parties long before you even reach the 31st.
Ryan painted two small pumpkins, one for Miles and one for him.
“Helping” Daddy carve the two large pumpkins
Grammy with the boys:
The grandparents all came over for dinner on Halloween.
Heading out with Daddy and the grandfathers for Ryan’s first time trick-or-treating.
Ryan grasped the concept quickly.
Miles
Last but not least, Miles turned 3 months old on the 17th. He continues to be easygoing and quite social. He’s laughing, rolling over, grasping toys, and “talking” loudly.
1 comment:
LOVE the UPS uniform! How very Ryan! Also think the new family pic is gorgeous!
Post a Comment