Friday, July 1, 2011

A picture’s worth a lot

If you had asked me to describe the last five months in one word, it would be hard.  Really, really hard.  Paul completed a whopping 15 credit hours from January through June towards his MBA.  That means he’ll finish the program one semester early (yea!), but it also meant two long days each week on my own with the boys and many evening and weekend hours devoted to studying.  Add to that having my gall bladder out in February, the boys fighting RSV and its aftermath for much of March, and helping a dear friend on bed rest in April.  May brought a much-needed 3 week break from Paul’s classes, and we scrambled to address the long to-do list hanging over our heads.  Then it was back to class for Paul during the month of June.
   
I bounced between periods of incredible busyness to long stretches of being homebound (There are few things more isolating for the stay-at-home mom than illness!).  By the time we reached June, I was exhausted in every sense of the word.  I desperately missed my husband.  I longed for a day off.  I couldn’t remember the last time the house had been really cleaned.  Even the thought of going out for our anniversary seemed overwhelming. 
    
So it was with genuine surprise that I recently downloaded pictures and was reminded of some very bright spots during those seemingly endless months: 
    
*Some of my closest friends and me held a tea party themed baby shower for our friend Courtney while she was on bed rest.
  
Courtney's Shower
      

  
*Ryan enjoyed his first carnival.  His bravery on the huge slides blew us away!
  
Ryan at Carnival
 
Ryan at Carnival 3
 
Ryan at Carnival 2
  
*Another friend, Christina, and I took two 4 year olds, one 3 year old, and two 2 year olds to the Greenville Zoo.  It was actually not as crazy as it might sound!
   
Greenville Zoo
    
Greenville Zoo 2
 
*Easter!  He is risen!
  
Easter 2011
  
Easter 2011 2
 
Easter 2011 5
  
Easter 2011 4
  
Easter 2011 3
  
*Mother’s Day weekend brought Uncle Mark up from Atlanta for a rare visit.
   
Mark and Ryan
  
Mark and Miles
  
Nana Kay and Miles
  
*Frequent illness forced Ryan and me to get creative at home.
  
Shaving cream fun
  
Ryan the Robot
   
*Miles mapped out new territory.
   
Time to childproof
  
*And the warmer weather brought us out onto the porch and into our little backyard pool.
Playtime on the porch
 
Miles
  
Backyard Pool
  
Miles and Ryan in pool
   
Mama and Miles
 
I am thankful that we had a lot of reasons to smile amidst such a stressful time in our lives.

No comments: