September was a month of settling into our new school-year routine while simultaneously preparing to turn our world upside again! It was a strange combination of checking off long to-do lists and many quiet days at home (for Miles and me at least). I have been thankful for this in-between time after a summer that felt anything but restful.
Miles and I have had a lot of one-on-one time together, and it’s been fun to get acquainted with my little buddy. With Ryan at school and Miles’ verbal skills growing, I feel like I’m actually getting to know him. He rarely leaves my side but seems mostly content to trail me around the house while I clean or cook. He “helps” where he can and is surprisingly talkative when his brother isn’t around! He’s turning out to be a homebody. He enjoys a few play dates each week but is quick to say, “Friends go home now?” when he’s had his fill of little people. As soon as Paul and Ryan drive away every morning, we snuggle on the couch with a stack of books. He loves this time and gets quite upset if something interferes with it. Even errands have been blessedly tantrum-free (as long as I bring apples - the boy is addicted, but this is one addiction I’m happy to oblige.).
We cooked together for the first time this week. Granola bars!
Yes, he’s wearing a sock as a glove. It may or may not have been clean -
I decided not to push it!
I took him to the Nature Center for the first time. He’s still more interested in running around with his friends, but it was a fun way to spend the morning.
He was most impressed by this donkey.
The hardest part of this time for me has been missing Ryan. He’s loving school and actually gets sad on Saturdays (“because I want to go learn new things!”). There’s no doubt that he was ready in every sense of the word. However, there are still mornings when it’s really hard to see him skipping out the door.
In mid-September, he and I enjoyed a Saturday morning date. I signed us up for a Sibling Class at the hospital. He was thrilled to tour the maternity ward, learn about newborns, and figure out ways he’ll be able participate when his baby sister arrives. It was really sweet!
No date would be complete without food!
Ryan got to choose his favorite, “Old McDonald’s.”
Paul and Ryan were able to have some one-on-one time themselves when Crazy Hat Day came around during his school’s Spirit Week. They spent several hours turning Ryan’s vision into reality.
The boys have definitely missed one another during the week. I’m glad they have time together every afternoon. Most of the time it goes smoothly.
We only have a few more weeks as a family of four! It’s nearly impossible to believe, but we’re more than ready to move from eagerly anticipating her arrival to seeing her face to face.
No comments:
Post a Comment