Saturday, May 4, 2013

God gave you a brother.

 

Brothers outside May 2013

 

Brothers playing March 2013

 

Brothers 2 March 2013

 

Brothers March 2013

 

Brothers reading

 

Window markers

 

Window markers. 2jpg

 

Finger painting

 

Winter 2 2013

 

Winter 2013

 

Biltmore Gardens May 2013

 

Biltmore Gardens 2 May 2013

 

When I was a teacher, I was heartbroken by the way siblings were often allowed to treat one another.  Parents seemed to expect the best behavior toward those outside of the family and the worst behavior toward those within.  Actions that would have received immediate correction had it happened with a friend – name calling, hitting in anger, toy taking – were greeted with sighs and shrugged shoulders when the recipient was a brother or sister.  I have seen the faces of anger, sadness, and rejection when parents knowingly overlook this behavior or attempt to justify it.

We were thrilled when we found out that Ryan would have a brother.  What joy this growing friendship has brought to them and us!  Of course, they are quite normal brothers, who play happily one minute and play tug-of-war over a coveted toy the next.  Our first words are always, “Aren’t you glad that God gave you a brother?  He chose Miles just for you.  Knowing that, how can we handle this situation differently?”

I pray that our response deepens their bond so that they will be not just brothers but lifelong friends.  I pray that their relationship will be characterized by encouraging words, healthy competition, protectiveness, and lots of laughter.  I pray that their intimate knowledge of one another’s weaknesses and failings will be used to help build up instead of tear down.  I pray that as they grow older, they will have the courage to call their brother out if he is making wrong choices and discern the right path together.    

 

Ryan and Miles Nov 2010

I love you well, my little brother,
And you are fond of me;
Let us be kind to one another,
As brothers ought to be.

You shall learn to play with me.
And learn to use my toys;
And then I think that we shall be
Two happy little boys.

(The Little Mother Goose, 1912)

1 comment:

The Breedloves said...

This is a precious post! I love it!