Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hanging at the beach (2014)

We enjoyed 10 days in Cherry Grove this year, and it was the best vacation we’ve taken since having children!  Woohoo!  I think it was a combination of refining the art of beach play (the right gear, toys, snacks, drinks, seating, shade, etc.) and the kids’ ages.  With the exception of the pool, we could do everything together, and each one had plenty to keep them busy.  It was also the first time we’ve had no morning naps, bottles to wash, formula to mix, baby food to prepare, two in diapers (or recently potty trained), and I wasn’t pregnant!  And did I mention the weather?  It was unseasonably cool!  In fact, one morning we had to delay going to the beach because it was low 60’s and breezy.  On most days, the highs barely made it into the 80’s.  So, I think you get the picture:  It was fantastic!

I thought I could pare down the pictures this year.  I really did.  But I just couldn’t!

 

Ocean play 5

 

Ocean play 4

 

Ryan and Miles 2

 

Abby

 

Ryan and Abby 2

 

Ryan and Abby

 

Ryan

 

Miles 2

 

Abby 7 This little girl was fearless!

 

Miles 6

 

Abby 4 

 

Abby 5

 

Ryan and Miles 4

 

Ryan and Miles 3

 

Paul and Abby

 

Miles 4

 

Miles 5

 

Ryan and Miles 5

 

Ryan 2

 

Ocean play 2

 

Ocean play 3

 

Ocean play

 

Abby 2

 

Abby 3

 

Feeding seagulls 2 Feeding the seagulls with Nana Kay and Granddaddy

 

Feeding seagulls 

 

Miles 8 
There was lots of digging!

 

Miles 9 

 

Miles 10 
It was exhausting.

 

Miles 11


 

Abby 6

 

Miles and Abby

 

Miles 3

 

Ryan and Miles

 

The pool was also a huge part of our trip.  Because of Abby’s age, she didn’t make it down there everyday, but Paul and the boys certainly did!

 

Miles 7 Miles finally agreed to try goggles, and (surprise!) he loved them. 
He also started jumping in by himself.  Can you tell he loved that, too?

 

Ryan 3 
By the end of the week, Ryan could jump into the shallow end without floats, surface, and swim to the nearest wall by himself.  Paul taught him how to swim longer distances by taking breaths along the way.  He could almost cross the width of the pool without help.

 

Ryan and Miles 6 

 

Jenny and Abby 

 

Each year, we plan something extra special (Broadway at the Beach, Alligator Adventure, etc.).  I had heard wonderful things about Pirates Voyage, a dinner show.  My parents watched Abby so that Paul and I could take the boys.  It was much more elaborate than we expected.  There was quite a bit of acrobatics, sword fighting, animal tricks, and singing.  The boys were so enthralled we practically had to feed them by hand! 

 

Pirates Voyage 2 
No photography allowed during the show, but the boys were ready for the fun to begin!

 

Pirates Voyage

 

The boys are already asking how long until we return to the condo.  I don’t want to wait another year either!

 

The kids

No comments: