Monday, June 1, 2015

Windows Live Writer

So, there is a big change behind the scenes blogging-wise.  It won't affect you as much as it affects me.  However, you might notice some unwelcome formatting changes, such as the small pictures on my previous post.  I know they are small, and I dislike it as much as you do.

For many years, I have used a delightful program (I know!  Who knew you could use such a positive word to describe a computer program?) called Windows Live Writer.  It made blogging a pure joy. Pictures imported effortlessly, they centered and re-sized with a simple click, and everything in the rough draft looked exactly like it would when published on the blog.  Those all might seem like obvious features for a blog editor to have, but they are not.  Paul set up Live Writer for me after many nights of listening to me rant, wail, beg him for help, and generally despair while trying to create an entry.  A win, win if there ever was one!

Alas, my dreamy days of blogging might be over.  Some dispute/security update/code change/practical joke between Google and Microsoft (the details of which only Paul can fully explain) mean that Live Writer and Blogger no longer sync. There are many dismayed bloggers around the world, with no promise that the problem will be fixed.  I realize that I can't really complain since I don't blog for profit (I wish!), as so many do, but I am willing to be outraged on their behalf.

This does not mean I won't continue to blog.  It does mean that, whereas before blogging was fun, it will now be a labor of love.  The Blogger editor is truly atrocious.  Even Paul threw his hands up in dismay while trying to help me.  The pictures cannot be made any larger without going off of the page, spaces appear and disappear at will, and pushing "Publish" is like leaping off of a cliff.

Next time you see me, ask about the small pictures at your own risk.  You've been warned.

P.S.  There is some good news.  The italics button works just fine!    

No comments: