Monday, October 31, 2016

Reverse Trick-or-Treating

Last week, a group of homeschooling families went “reverse trick-or-treating” at a local assisted living facility.  It was an idea I had never heard of before, and we were so honored to be a part of it!

The moms dressed all of the children in their Halloween costumes.  The kids and I made thirty or so cards in advance, and one mom brought enough cookies for all the residents. 

 

Nursing Home Visit 5

 

Those who were able to met us in the lobby, where they admired the costumes and chatted with the children.  Initially, my boys were understandably nervous and overwhelmed.  Handing out the cards gave them something to do and provided a conversation-opener.  Abby had no hesitation whatsoever and flitted around the room, proudly showing off her dress and smiling at everybody.   

 

Nursing Home Visit 3

 

Nursing Home Visit 1The gentleman in the middle of the back row was turning 97 on Halloween!

 

We visited the rooms of several residents.  The first in-room visit was to a woman named Francis.  She was 100 years old, but you would never have guessed it.  She was sharp and lively (She laughed when acknowledging that her oldest son is 84 and youngest, “a real surprise,” is 64!).  When we asked Francis what her secret was for a long life, she said, “Well, it might be that I never smoke or drank, and I still walk around outside every day that I can.”  Great advice! 

We made such a big deal in front of the children about Francis’ age, that the children began asking everybody how old they were!  While the adults admired 88 year old Nell, the children said, “But she isn’t 100!” 

 

Nursing Home Visit 2I love how they moved in so closely to listen and ask questions.

 

We were thanked repeatedly for “making us all smile,” but our smiles were just as big.  I loved listening to their stories about teaching forty years teaching 4th graders, great-great grandchildren, or sixty-two year marriage.  As we were getting ready to leave, the residents even passed out treat bags to the children.

 

Nursing Home Visit 4  

We are already talking about a return trip around Christmas!

1 comment:

Beth said...

What a lovely event!
Thank you!