Thursday, December 17, 2020

JAM

In early September, we were given the opportunity to join a new chapter of Junior Appalachian Musicians (JAM). I was eager to give it a go and see if our kids got as excited about traditional mountain music as I do! The lessons are taught weekly in a group format. In true Asheville style, we are meeting in an open air brewery since classrooms are hard to come by during a global pandemic. Never did I imagine hanging out with my kids for two hours at a brewery every week, but life is full of surprises!

Ryan and Abby chose the fiddle, and Miles is playing the banjo. It remains to be seen if they will continue to play long term. I am hoping that once they learn several traditional songs, they will be able to experience the joy of jamming. Jam sessions happen regularly in our area, and they can pop up anywhere (I have seen one at a baby shower!). You’ll see the kids get a sneak peak of the fun in this video.


JAM 2020 4

Our outdoor hang out!


JAM 2020 3

Much to the delight of passing tourists, the sidewalk is their classroom when the weather’s right or case counts are high!


JAM 2020

Miles with his banjo buddy, Caelum, and wonderful teacher (Video here!)


JAM 2020 2

All the JAM kids in our chapter and their patient teachers!
(Violin performances here and here.)

No comments: