Well, it’s been 4 weeks and 6 days since I broke my leg. But who’s counting? I am! In the beginning, I thought it would only get easier once our New Normal was established. I was both right and wrong.
For the kids, it actually has gotten much better with every week that passes. They have adapted to their new responsibilities, understand what I can and cannot do, know who is taking them to and from school, and trust that their basic needs will continue to be met. In fact, Ryan told me yesterday, “I like you on the couch, Mama!” When I asked him why, he said, “Because we get lots of snuggle time!”
Oh,yes, there is a lot of snuggling, reading, and TV. This picture sums it up perfectly:
Piles of books (mine and theirs) surround me. Also, notice how Miles is stretched out beside me? He occupies that spot 75% of the time when he is home.
I’d be lying if I said I never feel a wee bit claustrophobic!
The kids have also been spoiled rotten by both sets of grandparents. My parents have been making sure they get out of the house each weekend. They have enjoyed outings to the Nature Center, Mountain Play Lodge, Chick-Fil-A, etc. Paul’s parents have given each child their special day of one-on-one fun, with activities that catered to each age and personality. Come to think of it, I can completely understand why my injury is viewed in such a positive light!
So, the question I am asked the most often: How are you guys getting it all done?
Our life has obviously been turned upside down. If Paul takes a sick day, I don’t have to report to work in his place. Since my job doesn’t allow for sick days, either Paul makes up the difference, we ask (or pay) someone else to, or the work simply doesn’t get done. We’re doing a combination of the three.
My parents are kindly paying to have our house cleaned. Whew! They also drive the boys to and from school, with friends generously filling in the gaps. Paul’s parents have watched the children for my medical appointments, and even took Ryan to his annual eye doctor appointment. When friends stop by, they help by refilling sippy cups, serving snacks, sweeping the kitchen floor, bringing Abby down from nap, changing a diaper, etc. Those seemingly “little” things really add up when I am home with the kids! It saves me a lot of pain and allows me to preserve my energy.
I am able to do a few things to contribute. I can wash dishes, empty/load the dishwasher, monitor laundry, fold clothes (if someone brings the basket to me), throw a few ingredients into the crockpot for dinner, and help Ryan with his homework. I can plan the week’s meals and generate the grocery list. Those may sound silly, but anything I can take off of Paul’s plate is important.
With all of that help, Paul is left with plenty of time to… work his full-time and part-time jobs, do the weekly grocery shopping and all errands, make breakfast and lunch for 5 every morning, drop Ryan off at school by 8 a.m., drive me to my doctor appointments and physical therapy, take the kids to the pediatrician when they are sick (That’s 4 visits so far!), flip laundry, keep the house straightened, finish prepping and serve dinner, mow the grass, tend the garden, collect the garbage, bathe the kids, and tend to all nighttime wakings (unusually frequent this month). I have no doubt that Paul could add a dozen items to the list.
I have been impressed by Paul’s positive, encouraging attitude throughout. He has not only done the “musts” but has been intentional about the special things, too. He will stop to dance with his daughter, take the kids along on the fun errands, play hide-and-seek, suggest a Friday night ice cream run, set out watercolors, go to the library to replenish my book pile, and buy special treats (i.e. the things Mama never buys) to tuck into lunches. He never sighs when I ask for a glass of water or gently remind him that there are wet clothes in the washing machine. What a blessing he has been to us all!
Despite Paul’s incredible effort, things are most definitely falling between the cracks. We live out of laundry baskets most of the time. There are so many baskets with unfolded clothes sitting around that clean clothes have been inadvertently rewashed. Rotten apples were just uncovered in the fruit drawer. We’ve run out of diapers. Sandy shoes and clothes lay abandoned on the back porch. Mail is forgotten for days in the mailbox. Our taxes got paid on April 13th. Abby watches ridiculous amounts of TV and only leaves the house once a week. However, these are minor problems when viewed through a wide lens.
Paul and I are physically and mentally exhausted, although for different reasons! I have at least one more week in the boot, and then twice weekly physical therapy will begin. Even when I am free of the boot, it will take time and patience before I can resume my normal level and kinds of activities.
While there is a sweetness to this time in our family, the old routines and mundane tasks will look sweeter still.
No comments:
Post a Comment