Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Homeschooling: In the beginning

Well, we have one and a half weeks of homeschooling under our belts!  If I had to grade our start (which, as a teacher, I feel compelled to do), I would give us a solid “B.”  There is much to learn, but I feel good about where we are.

 

First Day of School 2015Ryan (2nd Grade) and Miles (Pre-K) on the first day of school

 

Prior to starting school, we all eat breakfast, and the boys get dressed, brush their teeth, and make their beds.  I make Paul’s lunch, clean the breakfast dishes, dress Abby, and get as many appliances working as I can (dishwasher, washer, dryer, and ROBi).

Our school day begins around 8:15 a.m.  We begin with our Morning Meeting, which essentially includes all of the activities we do together.  The Pledge of Allegiance, calendar, songs (such as ABC’s, days of the week, etc.), hymns, miscellaneous memorization work, and prayer are covered with lots of movement and fun.   

 

Abby     Abby is our (potty-training, frequently pants-less) flag holder.

 

Miles 
Miles announces the date.  Sometimes, Spiderman appears in his place.

 

After the Morning Meeting, Ryan usually starts on work that he can complete independently, such as handwriting practice and math fact worksheets. 

 

Ryan 

 

Miles gets his one-on-one time with me.  We work on handwriting, phonics, and math.  He has been a very enthusiastic student, and I love working with him.

 

Miles 2

 

Miles 3

 

Miles 4

 

If I am lucky, Abby will go to her own desk during this time to color or play with quiet toys.  Otherwise, she’s most likely in my lap while I work with Miles.

 

Abby 2

 

Snack time is next, and I check over the work Ryan completed on his own.  Miles and Abby are sent upstairs to play so that I can give Ryan my full attention now.  We cover math, spelling, grammar, and writing.  When Miles and Abby tire of playing, they are allowed to watch one short show if Ryan and I aren’t finished.

 

Ryan 2 

 

Science is usually next, although I am debating moving it to the afternoon while Abby is napping.  Some days she enjoys observing and others she is infuriated by the inability to participate fully.

 

Ryan 3 On this day we were studying plant (square) vs. animal (round) cells.  The grapes
represented chloroplasts, and orange slices were the nuclei. 

 

Ryan 4

 

 

Siblings 
And, of course, we enjoyed tasting the “cells” afterward.

 

We are usually finished with our core subjects by 11 a.m.  Ryan prefers to do his piano practice and reading aloud in the afternoon.  I like the rhythm of the morning.  Time certainly flies!

There were a few improvements that needed to be made right away.  I ditched the Bible curriculum I was planning to use, and the new one arrived today.  Miles wants more to do and is eager to learn, so I am looking into ways to extend his learning.  Abby’s moods impact our morning dramatically.  I am still experimenting with strategies to keep the peace.  The start of preschool will help.

For me, it has been fun to be teaching again.  Even though the number of students is quite small compared to what I am used to, it is definitely more chaotic at home.  I never had to juggle this wide range of needs in a single-grade classroom, and students are usually on their best behavior at school.  Mama doesn’t always get the same level of respect!  However, lesson plans, white boards, introducing new concepts and watching them “click” makes me very happy.

Note: For those who are interested, we are following the classical methodology in our home school.  Current curriculum choices for Ryan are:

Math: Singapore Math
Grammar: Shurley Grammar
Writing: Institute for Excellence in Writing
Spelling: Spelling Workout and Spalding
Handwriting: A Reason for Handwriting
Science: R.E.A.L. Science Level 1 (alternating quarters with history)
History: Unit studies of Revolutionary War, Westward Expansion, and 50 States/Capitals
Bible: Grapevine Studies

No comments: